Family Group - C2
Curtis Ivy, son of James and Mourning Ivey/Ivy (Family Group J1) of Marlboro County, SC, was born about 1784 in SC and died before 1870 in Pontotoc County, MS. He and brother Magirt were administrators of the will of James in Marlboro County in 1820. He later moved to the Tuscaloosa County, AL area and then to Pontotoc County, MS.
Curtis had a will dated 1870 in Chickasaw County, MS in which he names his children. Gilbert Ivy was the executor of the will. A newspaper article also was published to help locate some of the children and grandchildren of those children of Curtis that had died prior to the will, and that had moved out of the area.
Curtis and wife Catherine McLucas had sons John C, Gilbert, Henry James (or James Henry), Henry M, Andrew M, Pulaski, Lovinski, and George.
1. John C Ivy born about 1813, married Lucretia Winn McConnell of MS. He dies before the will of Curtis in 1863.
2. Gilbert Ivy born about 1816, married Catherine L McLaughlin of MS
3. Henry James (also went by James H.) born about 1820, married Mary and went to TX.
4. Henry M born about 1824, married Virginia Of Little Rock, AR
5. Andrew M born about 1826, married Elizabeth M of Chickasaw, MS
6. Pulaski Ivy born about 1829, married Sophronia A Stanford
7. Lovinski born about 1831, married Martha Abernathy and later Mrs Mary Wilson, went to Calhoun Co, AR
8. George Ivy born about 1839, dies before the will of Curtis
Curtis and wife Catherine McLucas had daughters Lodusky and Mary.
1. Lodusky Ivy born about 1830, married A. L. Mc Laughlin, died before the will of Curtis
2. Mary born about 1834, marriedd John Wood, then William W. Grady of Desoto Co., MS
Curtis was listed with several slaves in 1850. Curtis is the only son of James and Mourning that has a marriage listed in Marriage Records-Ancestors to the Pee Dee page 376, Curtis married Catherine McLucas and listed her parents.
His records are as follows
1. War of 1812........
2. 1818 Marlboro Co Deed.......
3. 1820 census Marlboro Co, SC; also brother Magirt in the 1820 will of their father James.
4. 1826 sold land to Moses Turner, Marlboro Co, SC; brother Magirt was also listed.
5. 1829 Census Tuscaloosa Co, AL
6. 1830 Census Tuscaloosa Co, AL
7. 1837 sells a slave - a Negro man named Dave
8. Listed with 280 acres, 5 male slaves and 4 female slaves
9. There is a Lewis and Wm B Ivy or Jay listed in the area at this time.
10. 1840-1844-1848 Deeds
11. 1840 Census Tuscaloosa Co, AL
12. 1850 Census Pontotoc Co, MS with slave index; age 66
13. 1854 deeds
14. 1860 Census Pontotoc Co, MS
15. 1870 will of Curtis Ivy, Pontotoc Co, MS.
George Washington Ivy, son of Lovinski, and Family, taken about 1900.
Back row standing: Left to Right, James Curtis, Frank, Kate, Harry, Claiborne Brisco (Clabe)
Front row: Left to Right --- Nell, Mollie Stephens Ivy, George Jr, George Washington (Bud), and Bunn.
Ancestry Family File
C2-Curtis Ivy Family Tree
For access to this file, send a request to its Administrator.